Thursday, August 19, 2010

Final concept




I went to the presentation with the positive displacement pump which I worked on collaboratively with two class members, and the container which the water would flow into from the pump. To represent the container being inside a bus stop pole I used a glass alcohol bottle wrapped with a piece of acrylic. I had the stops laser cut out of the flat piece, then heated it under elements and wrapped it around the bottle. Originally I wanted to use an opaque plastic, so the water would only show down the line I had cut down the piece, but due to time restrictions I could only get hold of a clear piece, which turned out fine to show design intent.

In terms of manufacturing, the base I constructed to house the bottle was poor construction which showed when it leaked everywhere during the presentation, this I could have done better. When I was heating up the acrylic sheet with the help of a workshop guy, and stared draping it around the bottle, it was a lot harder to get a clean mould than I thought. In retrospect a prefab acrylic tube may have been the better option.

No comments:

Post a Comment